Palazzo Thun

The Palazzo is one of the most significant noble residences in the city.

Owned by the Thun family for four centuries since 1454, the family’s crest still reigns on the corners of the façade and on the portal’s keystone. The façade overlooking the ancient via Larga features traces of imitating ashlar decorations. In the 1550s it got annexed to other buildings and underwent a radical transformation. During the last phase of the Council of Trento, the palace housed several assemblies and hosted the Pope’s envoys, Cardinal Ercole Gonzaga and Cardinal Giovanni Morone. The palazzi Thun, Quetta and Geremia were connected by a wooden bridge constructed by the council fathers to facilitate movements from one palazzo to the other. Later Palazzo Thun was enlarged till reaching Santa Maria Maggiore. Key refurbishing works, started in 1831, were carried out under the supervision of Brescia-based architect Rodolfo Vantini. In 1873 Palazzo Thun was purchased by the municipality of Trento and became the seat of the City Council. It houses paintings and chimneys of the Baroque age and numerous artistic testimonies linked to the civic identity of Trento: among these, the stone statue of Neptune, created in 1768 by Stefano Salterio for the fountain in Piazza del Duomo (replaced in situ by a copy in bronze). The hall on the noble floor, where today the meetings of the City Council take place, was decorated in 1938 by the Veronese painter Pino Casarini. Particularly interesting, are the torn frescoes visible on the walls of the grand staircase: these are the murals that adorned the façade of Casa Cloz-Garavaglia in via San Marco till 1909, kept here for conservation. They were made in 1551 - the year in which the Council was re-convened - by the Veronese painter Domenico Riccio known as Brusasorci and depict mythological scenes, allegorical figures and episodes of Roman history (Victory of Cartagena and Continenza by Scipione). During the Council Baron Sigismondo Thun made the palace available to host two papal legates: the cardinal of Mantua Ercole Gonzaga, who died there on 2 March 1563, and cardinal Giovanni Girolamo Morone, his successor in the presidency of the Council. Here the preparatory congregations of the third phase of the synod were held.  Only the internal courtyard can be visited. Cappella Vantini and Torre Mirana are opened just for exhibitions and events.

Foto Tonino Bortoletto

Indirizzo
Via Belenzani 19, Trento
Informazioni

Four parking lots fo disabled are located along Via Belenzani (about 90 metres away). The building has a second entrance in Via Manci. The inner courtyards are paved with obblestones. The Thun Hall, the cellars of Torre Mirana and the Vantini Chapel are exhibition halls. The first lies on the ground floor with direct access from the courtyard; the cellars are in the basement and are accessible by way of elevator; the chapel is accessible by way of stairlift that is proceded by a 6 cm high step. Accessible toilets are available on the ground floor. Front gate 230 cm wide (always open). Elevator (89 cm wide door, 135cm x 149 cm, controls 120cm above floor level with tactile symbols). Stairlift (71cm x 70cm, maximum load 250kg). Equipped disabled toilets (90cm wide door, 190cm x 246cm, 51cm high toilet bowl with side grab bars).

Collocazione geografica

Come arrivare

Tipologia di luogo

Immagini

Martedì, 30 Settembre 2014 - Ultima modifica: Venerdì, 05 Luglio 2019

Aiutaci a migliorare questa pagina

© 2019 Comune di Trento powered by ComunWEB con il supporto di OpenContent Scarl